Privacy & Security
Harland Clarke does not capture and store any personal information about individuals who access this website, except where you voluntarily choose to give us your personal details via the online e-mail form or if you are an employee entering the Employee area of the site. The personal information you give us is used exclusively by Harland Clarke for providing you with current and future information. We will not pass any of the personal data that you have provided us to any outside organizations and/or individuals, except with your express consent.
Harland Clarke's Information Security Program (ISP)
Harland Clarke's Information Security Program (ISP) is based on the standards identified by the International Standards Organization (ISO). We review and test our online security measures regularly. These measures include:
- Authentication- Users require a unique user account and password. Our policy states user accounts must not be shared and requires complex password construction.
- Encryption - All data input during a user's session is encrypted during transmission. Sessions are logged out after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Vulnerability Testing - We maintain current patches and anti-virus definitions, and an independent security firm regularly performs vulnerability tests on our perimeter and enterprise infrastructure.
- Monitoring - We monitor for security events with Intrusion Detection and respond with our Security Threat Response Team (START).
- Annual Auditing - Our audit plan includes an annual review of our control measures, penetration testing, and an annual certification of our perimeter and enterprise to ensure Harland Clarke is meeting or exceeding essential security best practices.
Web browsing "cookies"
A cookie is a piece of data stored directly on the user's computer hard drive that contains information about the user. Harland Clarke's site is not capable of using the cookies on a user's computer to identify the user. Cookies are used only for storing temporary information. For example, the user will only have to log in once while on Harland Clarke's site. Once the user closes the browser, the cookie created while browsing the Harland Clarke site terminates. If a user rejects the cookie by having the function turned off in the browser settings, the user can still use Harland Clarke's site. In this case, though, usability of the site may be limited.
Harland Clarke uses Internet Protocol (IP) addresses to administer the site, track page views and click-through activity, and gather broad information for internal use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information. For applications that have audit requirements, a unique user ID and password are necessary. To ensure audit controls are enforced, Harland Clarke will log and track the user ID while on our site.
A site may contain links to other sites. Please be aware that Harland Clarke is not responsible for the privacy practices of sites not managed or maintained by our company. Harland Clarke encourages Web users to read the Privacy Statement of any site that collects personally identifiable information. Harland Clarke's Privacy Statement applies solely to information collected by Harland Clarke.
Surveys and contests
On occasion Harland Clarke may request information from users through surveys. Participation in these surveys is voluntary. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and phone number) for the purposes of contacting survey respondents if they have granted permission for Harland Clarke to do so. Surveys may solicit opinions and general information such as client/employee satisfaction and user satisfaction. Such information is for Harland Clarke's internal use only.
Harland Clarke may use nonaffiliated companies to perform services on our behalf and at our direction (with the permission of those financial institutions with which Harland Clarke does business) to help Harland Clarke communicate with consumers or provide them with products or services. In these instances, Harland Clarke has written agreements that require the parties with whom it shares information to keep it safe and confidential and to use it only for the purposes specified.
When entering into an agreement to provide services to any financial institution, Harland Clarke contractually agrees the user's personally identifiable, non-public information will not be sold or provided in any way to another entity except as stated above. Harland Clarke will not share that information with any other party, including affiliates of Harland Clarke, for purposes that are not related to providing services to those financial institutions and/or their account holders.
All Harland Clarke employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. When new policies are implemented, Harland Clarke's employees are notified and reminded of the importance the company places on consumer privacy.
Finally, the servers in which Harland Clarke stores personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment. Periodic assessments are conducted to ensure the controls in place are functioning as designed.
General Business Practices
Disclosure of Individual Consumer Information
Harland Clarke uses the information collected from you to process orders and to provide a more personalized shopping experience.
Harland Clarke may also use your information to provide you order confirmation and shipment notification, as well as to communicate with you about products, services, and promotions in the future. We may use third party service providers to assist us in maintaining good consumer relations by communicating to you relevant announcements regarding exclusive sales, company information, and to conduct consumer surveys. We may also provide your information to third party service providers who assist us in fulfilling your order, as well as to financial institutions for customer verification and fraud prevention purposes. All of our third party service providers are required by contract not to otherwise disclose your personal information.
Information You Submit or Give Us Permission to Obtain
We collect information from you when you choose to provide it to us through our online or offline environments. For example, if you:
- Order our products and services or create an account with us, you may provide us with information such as your name, postal address, email address, payment information, what you ordered and any other information you choose to provide;
- Request support or submit an inquiry, you may provide us with information such as your name, contact information, the subject of your inquiry, message content and any other information you choose to provide;
- Sign up to receive information about our products and services, you may provide us with information such as your name, contact information, the product or service you are interested in and any other information you choose to provide;
- Respond to surveys or participate in contests or other promotions, you may provide us with your survey responses, contact information and any other information required to complete the survey or participate in the contest or other promotion; or
We also collect information from you when you give us permission to access it. For example:
- If you access our online environments through your mobile device (for example, via a mobile app or your device’s browser), you may give us access to location data.
Technical Information Collected Automatically
- We may collect certain technical information about your visits to our online environments without you actively submitting such information. This information can make your use of our online environments easier and more meaningful by allowing us to provide better service, customize our online environments based on consumer preferences, compile statistics, provide you with more relevant advertisements, analyze trends and otherwise administer and improve our online environments. Some of the types of technical information collected automatically when visiting our online environments include:
- Log Data. When you use our online environments, our servers automatically record information ("log data"), including information that your browser or mobile app sends whenever you visit or use our online environments. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used our online environments and cookie data;
- Device Information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you are using to access our online environments, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, unique device identifiers and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you are using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you are using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect to provide our products and services to you, improve our products and services, develop new products and services and protect ourselves and our consumers.
If you register or open an account with us, the information we collect may be used to maintain your account, provide you with access to some features of our online environments or offer you the benefits and privileges that typically come along with account registration. This may include purchasing products or services, use of exclusive or personalized content or activities.
We also use the information we collect for other legitimate business purposes, such as to:
- Send you advertisements, notices and other information regarding our products and services, including notifying you about special promotions;
- Respond to your inquiries or support requests;
- Invite you to participate in surveys regarding our products or services;
- Furnish and maintain our online environments; and
- Secure our networks and online environments.
We may also use the information we collect to offer you customized content, including to:
Recognize new or past visitors to our online environments;
- Remember your personal preferences;
- Show you more relevant and meaningful advertisements;
- Better understand the interests of our consumers and visitors to our online environments; and
- Conduct research and analyze the use of our online environments, products, services and advertisements.
Some of our applications and mobile-optimized online environments may have location-based features. To deliver these features, we may access and use location data provided by your mobile device. Location information will be collected solely to deliver the requested feature, and it will not be further retained or stored by us. Finally, in certain limited circumstances, we may be called upon to release the information we collect in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the potentially-sensitive nature of the information they may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting consumers who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to others or their property.